Omega Boost Beetroot & Blackcurrant Energy Bars, by Kate+5
Snack time at work or home cane become quite the task! Especially when we run out of delicious creations to cancel out that midday craving.
Kate from the Veg Space has come to the rescue with a glorious snack creation. Try your hands at these Beetroot & Blackcurrant energy bars to help you cruise through the day.
Follow more of Kate @vegspace
- 1 large beetroot, cooked and peeled
- 3 bananas
- 175g oats
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 100g nuts (I used a mixture of almonds and hazelnuts)
- Top Layer:
- 70g blackcurrants (fresh or frozen – blueberries would also work well if you can’t find blackcurrants).
- 45g oats
- 50g nuts, roughly chopped (I used a mixture of almonds and hazelnuts)
- 50g seeds (I used a mixture of linseeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 50ml nut milk (I used almond)
Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
Prepare the bottom layer – in a blender or food processor, blitz the beetroot and bananas to a purée then add the oats, syrup/honey and nuts and pulse a few times until finely chopped (but not a completely smooth paste).
Line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin (or approximately similar size) with grease proof paper or baking parchment, and spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the tin. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside.
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the top layer, then spread them evenly over the bottom layer. Return them to the oven for a further 12-15 minutes until starting to turn golden brown.
Remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool. Then slice into individual bites or bars and enjoy!