Spelt, Fig & Pomegranate Salad+12
A bright, cheery and substantial salad, this recipe makes the most of delicious in-season figs, which you can get at your local A&S.
- 150g spelt
- 1.5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 small red onion (sliced wafer thin)
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 8 fresh ripe figs (tips snipped off, halved or quartered depending on size and taste)
- 1/2 pomegranate, and seeds.
Put the spelt into a saucepan and cover with plenty of cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook until tender (about 30 minutes). Drain and immediately mix with the olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper. Stir in the onion and herbs.
Season the cut side of each fig with salt and pepper and gently toss into the spelt. Add the pomegranate seeds just before serving as they tend to bleed their juice.